2015-2016 STA Service Hour Regulation Information
Approved Agencies — 501(c)3 Organizations-
IN KEEPING WITH ARCHDIOCESE REGULATIONS, ALL STUDENTS SUBMIT A REFLECTION PAPER, ONCE A YEAR, AS DIRECTED BY THE THEOLOGY TEACHER.
- Students complete service hours with a recognized 501 C 3 non-profit organization.
- All STA students are required to complete 100 service hours prior to Graduation.
- Students are encouraged to complete the 100 hour requirement prior to October of their Senior year.
- All students are required to complete 25 service hours per year, 50% of which can be conducted at school.
- Required service hours for Leadership, NHS, Spanish Honor Society, etc., qualify for the minimum 100 hours graduation requirement.
- Students may gain service hours through any APPROVED STA service project.
- Class moderators, Theology teachers consistently post non-STA service opportunities and charity events.
- It is recommended that non-STA hours be approved prior to the service event by the student’s Theology teacher.
- The student is responsible for maintaining copies/originals for documentation and verification.
- The Non-STA Service Hour Forms are submitted by Theology teachers only.
- All STA service hours are submitted directly to the Service Hour Coordinator, Carol Bergen, by administrators, teachers, moderators, coaches, etc., in Excel spreadsheet format.
NON-STA SERVICE HOUR DOCUMENTATION:
- The Non-STA Service Hour Form must be complete: signatures, dates, hours, event info.
- Only completed and legible Service Hour Forms are processed.
- Letterhead documentation, original signatures, and STA form are required for non-STA hours.
- Duplicated/false documentation is returned and disciplinary action may result.
The following guidelines assist students prior to committing to service opportunities.
ACCEPTABLE SERVICE HOURS:
- STA activity, project, club activity with STA faculty/staff supervision
- Church or School activity or project
- Recognized 501 C 3 non-profit organizations
- Hospitals or Nursing homes
- Community services: library, theaters, schools, etc.
UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE HOURS:
- Donations of canned goods, baked goods, toys, books, magazine etc.
- Individual teacher/staff/coach assistance
- Park/recreation coaching or staffing
- Work in an office or place of business (i.e. doctor/dentist, attorney, realtor)
- Paid positions/internships, babysitting, day-care assistance, animal care, dance studio, karate classes, professional athletic events, etc.
DEADLINES: Service hours are posted at the end of each grading period. The deadline dates for posting are September 9th (Summer hours), October 9th , December 10th , February 29th, April 18th (Seniors), May 16th (Underclassmen)